C-Section Stories: Bernadette Cywinski
1. Briefly, please share the circumstances that led to your c-section birth(s):
I went into labor at 10 p.m. and went to the emergency room at 5 a.m. I was sent home for not dilating. Then I returned at 7:30 p.m. and was given an epidural. At 7 a.m. the next morning, I was told to start pushing. After 36 hours of labor and 5 hours of pushing, I was brought back for an emergency c-section because baby boy was crooked and stuck in my cervix. I slept through entire event, except for him crying, I heard that :). My second son was born via a planned c-section, due to being told history would repeat itself. For me, it did - he was also crooked.
2. What surprised you the most about having a c-section?:
The recovery time being twice as long due to going through active labor and then a c-section. Also, how life is just expected to go on even though you have been cut in half twice :).
3. What kind of support do you feel you received (from friends, family, healthcare team) after your c-section(s)?:
My husband received paternity leave for 8 weeks and helped me every morning and night. My mother retired early to stay home with me and watch my baby during the day while I recovered and eventually started working again.
4. What’s your #1 piece of advice/encouragement for a new c-section mom?:
You are strong, you can do this, and your baby loves you no matter how they came into the world. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
5. How do you believe having a c-section birth(s) made you stronger?:
It’s something I still struggle with - that I couldn’t do it the natural (vaginal) way. But I’m a rockstar and I did what was best for me and my child. I feel stronger and like I can handle anything that comes my way.
Name: Bernadette Cywinski
Your Profession: Report specialist
How to Connect With You on Social Media: @b_cywinski on Instagram