C-Section Stories: Jess O'Connell
1. Briefly, please share the circumstances that led to your c-section birth(s):
My oldest daughter turned breech at 32 weeks and didn’t turn back. I had considered doing a version but after hearing the risks I decided to do a scheduled c-section.
My baby was head down so I was able to attempt a vbac. After 2.5 hours of pushing and a failed vacuum, my uterus ruptured and I was taken back for an emergency c-section.
2. What surprised you the most about having a c-section?:
The stigma. I felt like I failed my first by having one, and the internet confirmed that to the point I attempted a risky vbac and lost my ability to have other kids. In my birth class before my first, they told us to do everything you can to avoid a cesarean so I did, and when it was inevitable, I was crushed.
3. What kind of support do you feel you received (from friends, family, healthcare team) after your c-section(s)?:
My after support was great.
4. What’s your #1 piece of advice/encouragement for a new c-section mom?:
That your birth was perfect and not to let anyone tell you otherwise or bully you into attempting a dangerous vbac in the future.
5. How do you believe having a c-section birth(s) made you stronger?:
It made me realize that I, as a control freak, can’t control everything. It was like my first parenthood lesson :).
Name: Jess O’Connell
Your Business (if applicable): Beachbody coach
Find me at: Mermaidfitjess.com