C-Section Stories: Melanie Hagerty
1. Briefly, please share the circumstances that led to your c-section birth(s):
I was in labor for 33 hours. My water broke, but my cervix was not dilating quickly enough. My doctor kept waiting because she really wanted me to have a vaginal birth. I just wanted a healthy baby. Eventually, I developed a fever and around the same time my baby’s heart rate skyrocketed, indicating he was in distress and possibly had an infection.
At that point the doctor decided to do an emergency c-section. I was exhausted, terrified, and ready to be done with giving birth. Because my doctor waited so long to decide to do a c-section, my baby spent a week in the NICU, receiving IV antibiotics. I wish the doctor had decided to do a c-section before it became an emergency. A healthy baby and mama are the MOST important thing.
2. What surprised you the most about having a c-section?:
How quickly I recovered! It was very painful, especially the first week. But I felt better and could tolerate the pain more quickly than I thought I would.
3. What kind of support do you feel you received (from friends, family, healthcare team) after your c-section(s)?:
It was great to talk to others moms who had c-sections. I felt very supported and encouraged by sharing our experiences with each other.
4. What’s your #1 piece of advice/encouragement for a new c-section mom?:
Focus on the health of yourself and your baby. The reward of your sweet baby will make everything you go through worth it in the long run. And be kind and gentle with yourself - you grew and birthed a human!
5. How do you believe having a c-section birth(s) made you stronger?:
It proved to me how capable, strong, and resilient I am. I feel more empowered to take on the challenges of being a mom.
Name: Melanie Hagerty
Your Profession: Office manager
How to Connect With You on Social Media: @melaniehagerty on Instagram